Pages

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Evaluating the Effectiveness of my GAME Plan

A GAME plan is a technique to help guide self-directed learning, with the outlining of goals, taking actions toward those goals, monitoring the results of the actions and, finally, evaluating the progress (Cennamo, 2009). My GAME plan focuses on seeking, finding and filing computer sites and digital tools that I can use to involve my students in realistic and self-motivated learning. A related goal is to expand my communication with students, parents and colleagues through the use of digital tools. The following questions will help me begin to evaluate my plan.
  • Effectiveness of actions taken. I have only been able to carry out some of my actions so far. I have added several good sites to my folder. I found these by my own research, from colleagues and from presentations at a math convention. I found two very good sites and am currently using them with my classes. Although I have not had the time to work on developing my class blog, I do hope to eventually implement that as well.
  • Applicable Learning.
The two sites that I have been using, www.physicsclassroom.com and
www.mathisfun.com, seem well-liked by my students and allow me to walk
around the room to keep students on-task and to answer questions.
  • Still to learn and new questions.
I still need to decide on how to use a classroom blog so that the students can discuss
homework and the problems on the websites. I don't have new questions as much as the
need for time to spend working with what I've already learned.
  • Adjustments to plan.
I need to provide more opportunities for creative thought and for real-life applications of
the topics I'm teaching. As my students become more accustomed to using the tutorial
sites, I will need to expand the types of digital tools they are using to include options which
allow the students to create and design solutions to real problems. As the old proverb
states, " Tell me, and I will forget. Show me, and I may remember. Involve me, and I will
understand" (Cennamo,2009).



Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach (Laureate Education custom edition). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning. Pp. 3,31.


5 comments:

  1. Your goal of finding computer sites and digital tools to involve students in learning is pretty broad. Do you have a more narrow type of learning that you want to address? Is there a certain type of outcome you want from these technologies? I am trying to understand pretty broad. Do you have a more narrow type of learning that you want to address? Is there a certain type of outcome you want from these technologies? I am trying to understand specifically, what type of outcome you are striving to get from these technologies.

    Some items that I would look for when choosing what type of blogging community you go with include settings, privacy, editing options by you, (incase there are inappropriate messages posted)and uploading files capabilities. There are many blogging communities out there to choose from. You will want to research them to find the one that fits your class needs the most.

    If you want the students to show you that they know the material through the use of technology, I would recommend using podcasts or voice threads, which seem like a really cool tool to use with the students. You can check it out here http://voicethread.com/

    Joe Wesche

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy,

    It sounds like you have followed through on your GAME plan. I looked at both sites you are using and they look to be solid.

    Using blogs for students to discuss issues in your class can be accomplished in the same way we are using it now. Post a broad question for the students to answer and let them respond to each other. I bet you will get good responses.

    Joe has good advice when it comes to choosing a blog site to use. Blogger seems to be the favorite of most folks in this class.

    Keep up the good work!

    Rob Winner
    EDUC 6713

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you utilized science probes such as those provided by Venier in your physics classes? (http://www.vernier.com/)
    I have observed physics teachers in my district utilizing these digital tools to engage students is some impressive investigations and application of concepts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea and potential of using a blog in the classroom. It seems like such a great tool to collaborate with others. However, I am concerned about the appropriate use of blogs, email, and other technology because online bullying may occur. Have you thought about this or thought about how you can monitor this blog so it will be used appropriately?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would actually recommend going through edublogs for blogging, as I know for sure that is one not blocked in my district. Students do not need their own e-mails to log-in as you can set them up for accounts using one g-mail account. Also, you can make it so that you have to approve comments prior to posting. That could limit risks of bullying. I like the idea of posting one problem or scenario that they all need to answer. It might be fun to challenge students to write up their own to be used for a discussion.

    Krystin

    ReplyDelete