Pages

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Extending What I've Learned

I realize from reading the posts of others that I have only begun the process of integrating more technology and problem-based learning into the classroom.I am only learning about many of the tools that some of you use regularly. I find the many possibilities interesting and have good ideas for how they might be implemented, but creating the time to do so seems to be my most pressing issue. For example, this week at work is busy with last unit tests, make-up work, exam review, making out exams, book checks, students returning from alternative school, etc. There is no time to try something new, research or read about a new technology or prepare a class project. I am exhausted trying to keep up. I had a formal observation Tuesday that I had completely forgotten about until the administrator showed up in my classroom. Under stress, I find that I retreat to familiar forms of teaching so that I am in my comfort zone.
To radically change a teaching style is difficult and unsettling. I will have to take small steps at a time. Working on this degree was a big step and implementing some use of computers into my classes was a small, but necessary step. Even though many of my Walden classmates are using much more technology than I am, I do find that I am using more than quite a few of my colleagues at work. Six math teachers share a mobile computer cart and the cart has remained in my room for the entire semester with no one requesting it. I have used the computers almost weekly, so I am slowly changing my methods. Ideally, this summer I will be able to plan some time to learn more and at a deeper level, so that next year the students and I can move to a higher level of learning. I am not ready to set new goals since I need to fully achieve the current ones. I am trying to make a habit of regularly looking up, trying out or using a technology that is new to me.

5 comments:

  1. Cathy,

    It sounds like you are making great progress towards implementing technology into your classroom. Finding the time to effectively embed technology is a time consuming endeavor. I find myself thinking that when I am done with my Masters' classes I will be able to spend the time needed to make some major improvements to how I use technology with my students. Small steps is the approach that I am taking in transitioning to a technology rich classroom. If I tried to do everything at once I would be overwhelmed and stop all together. You should be proud of the accomplishments you have made and continue to learn more about how technology can benefit your students as you are able.

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy,

    Remember that most of the teachers who are using technology in their classroom di not always use technology in their classroom. In my first year, I may have not even used technology one time. I use technology extensively today. This change did not occur overnight. It has taken me many years to implement the kinds of technology that I use today. I can relate as most of us can to being overwhelmed with the changing winds of education and the busy weeks as you mentioned. The best thing about technology is that it will be there tomorrow as well. Keep learning and keep being innovative in your classroom. Your students will appreciate your efforts!

    Rob Winner
    EDUC 6713

    ReplyDelete
  3. As an educational technologist, I work with educators in grade K-12 and I know that time is a huge variable that dictates whether new technology and pedagogy will be implemented in classrooms or not. Educators are faced with ever increasing demands and responsibilities, especially in this era of accountability.

    What I have found works is to slowly convince educators that technology and engaging students in their education can actually make their life easier. When students are excited about learning, there are far fewer distractions in the classroom and students are more active with helping one another.

    In the beginning of my career, I was a very traditional lecture based teacher. Since I was ‘performing’ most of the time, by the end of the day I was exhausted and my students were mostly bored. I finally realized that it was the students who needed to be doing the work, not me. When I changed my perspective on teaching from being a transmitter of knowledge to that of being a facilitator, being an educator became fulfilling. While it does take more effort to set up engaging learning opportunities, once the students get going it is very rewarding. I guess that is the biggest difference for me, when students are engaged and excited about what they are learning, I do not even realize the amount of time and effort I am putting in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Time is a big issue with all teachers plus now we are also taking these courses which takes up a lot of our once free time(or time spent someplace else). I sympathize with you. Between kids, house, work, and school, I am not sure how I have time to eat and sleep (sometimes I don't).

    A radical change is scary and difficult but you've taken the first step and that is probably the hardest. I am in a similar situation as you and I too find myself resorting back to traditional methods, it just easier. With time I am sure we will all adjust and settle into our new roles. I think that once we are finished with our courses here at Walden we will all find some extra time. I was just telling my husband the other day that I forgot what it was like to not have assignments due and what did I do with all the time that I now spend with Walden. On the good side, we are very close to finishing and will be proud of our accomplishments. Speaking for myself, I have taken so many courses (my Bachelor's, my first attempt at a Master's, and others) and I can honestly say that these courses have taught me more then any of the others that I have taken for my teaching career. Hang in there, we are in the home stretch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't let your lack of progress get you down. It is hard to not compare yourself to other students or teachers, but it is necessary that you only compete with yourself. That is something I always tell my students. It only matters that you improve yourself, not that you outdo your neighbor. It sounds like you have a good grasp that integrating technology takes time and commitment. Commitment you seem to have, time on the other hand, is something most of us are currently limited on. We can only do what we can and hope for the best. Remember that lessons should be about how the technology can help enhance them and not the focus of the lesson. If you do not see a way to bring in resources at the current time, that is not as big of a deal, as not desiring to find them. You clearly want to see out assistance. It may be helpful to seek out educator networks for teachers of Math so that you can see how others are using technology in their rooms. While you do not need to compare yourself to other teachers, it is always of benefit to learn from them.

    Krystin

    ReplyDelete