Pages

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Update on GAME Plan for Improving NETS-T Performance Indicators

Self-directed learning is important for a teacher to keep current and stay relevant. A way to establish a course of action is to write down a GAME plan in which Goals are set, Actions are taken, progress is Monitored and results and findings are Evaluated and Extended (Cennamo, 2009). My GAME plan is focused on two NETS-T performance indicators: Standard 1, b. engage students in exploring real-world issues and solving authentic problems using digital tools and resources. Standard 3, c. communicate relevant information and ideas effectively to students, parents and peers using a variety of digital-age media and formats (http://www.iste.org/Content/NavigationMenu/NETS/ForTeachers/2008Standards/NETS_T_Standards_Final.pdf).

Actions I have taken are to start a folder on my desktop for filing websites which can be used to enrich my lessons in algebra and physics. I found several good resources when I attended the National Conference of Teachers of Math last week and added several websites to my list, including a NASA educator site (http://www.nasa.gov/audience/foreducators/nasaeclips/index.html), which is applicable for either my math or science class. Future actions will involve training my math students on the use of our new set of TI-84 graphing calculators.

A modification I have made is to collect sites and information for both math and physics since there is so much overlap between the two.

I have learned so far that there are many user friendly sites available and many teachers well-versed in their use who are more than willing to help and share. I have tried a few activities in my classes and have found ways to combine pencil/paper lessons with computer use.

One question that I have about the use of websites, tutorials and online learning is how do I maximize student learning so that more is learned than would be in a traditional class? I can see that the students are receptive to the use of technology, but I want to encourage them to use it to expand their thinking and to become creative learners who think about their thinking (Cennamo, 2009).


Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach (Laureate Education custom edition). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

ISTE International Society for Technology in Education. (2008). NETS-T. Retrieved November 25, 2009, from http://www.iste.org/Content/NavigationMenu/NETS/ForTeachers/2008Standards/NETS_T_Standards_Final.pdf

5 comments:

  1. It sounds like you have made a lot of progress with your game plan. Attending conferences is a great way to learn about new technologies that can aid you in your practice. There are so many great resources on the Internet that can really engage students. Compiling a list of these web addresses is a good plan as it can become difficult to remember all of the great tools that you come across. Delicious may be a good tool for you to use as you compile these helpful resources. If you haven't used delicious before you can set up an account at http://delicious.com/ . I have found this to be very helpful because I can add links to my delicious account at any computer I am on. Putting tags on these internet sites allows me to easily find them later. I like to tag sites that I want to direct my students to as they begin a project. Providing them with my delicious address and the tag allows them to easily access the sites that I have found to get them off to a good start in their research process.

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Delicious is a great place to store websites. Unfortunately, my district will not allow us to install it onto our computers, so using it as Jenny suggests just isn't possible. Check with your IT people first. I still use it all the time on my home computer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathy,

    I'm glad you were able to find some resources at the convention last week. If you, or your district, spend money on a conference, you should expect to find some resources to help you out in your teaching.

    You mentioned that you will be collecting sites to aid your students. Check out altavista www.altavista.com. With altavista, you can sort results by searching for sites that end in .gov or .edu. This may aid your searching and you should be able to find a few sites that will help you and your students.

    Keep up the good work!

    Rob Winner
    EDUC 6713

    ReplyDelete
  4. Utilizing online tutorials and webquests are a great way to differentiate instruction because students can go at their own pace and select additional resources as needed. One way I have found that engages students in creative and higher level thinking is to have them actually create the tutorials and/or webquests.

    Most recently I have engaged middle school science students in creating educational video games for their classmates. During the process of creating their educational games, the students internalize the science concepts and discover new ways of explaining and illustrating them to others. Not only that, considerable logic and thinking is required to even create a video game. For some students who spend hours and hours playing video games, this project is a welcome alternative. I would not, however, recommend having an entire class working on game creation as it will drive you crazy. I offered it as a project choice and having a few pairs of students working on them seems to work best. I am utilizing the free game creation software called Gamemaker 6.1 which has now been upgraded to version 7.0 (soon 8.0). Unfortunately, the newer versions cost $25 for the commercial free version so I continue to use version 6.1:
    www.download3k.com/Software-Development/Coding-languages-Compilers/Download-Game-Maker.html
    The new game maker site is:
    www.yoyogames.com/gamemaker/try

    There are online tutorials and even a textbook, “Basic Game Design and Creation for Fun & Learning,” by Nanu & Naveena Swamy, 2006

    To teach is to learn twice over.
    Joseph Joubert

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to all who gave suggestions and sites. I've made notes on it all and when I have some time will look into these. I'm sure that my students would love the game creation sites, Kevin, but I am afraid I would not be fluent in all that was required. I guess the students would be, so maybe it would not matter. Cathy Petty

    ReplyDelete