Pages

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Reflecting on Course 6712, Supporting Information Literacy and Online Inquiry in the Classroom

This course coincided with my first time teaching an inquiry-based class, so most of the readings and activities have been quite relevant. I have taught for over 25 years, so I have the advantage of having observed and used a variety of teaching styles and trends. As recently as a few years ago, I had very little use for integrating technology into my teaching. I felt that the content was the content, regardless of how many bells and whistles are added. While I still think that students need to be able to listen to a well-done lecture without embellishments, I now also see that technology offers ways to enhance, rather than replace, age old teaching methods. I like that I now have an array of ways to teach.
In working with my students on computers this fall, the most striking realization is that for all of their familiarity and use of computers, most of them have very limited literacy skills and narrow ranges of websites. As teenagers do, they rely on peer pressure to guide which sites are "cool" and which applications to use. Even though they may use the buttons on the computer faster than I or navigate a website more easily than I , they do not have the critical thinking skills or global awareness that I have. So I have learned that, together, we can learn and teach each other.
I have finally reached a higher comfort level with my usage of technology and now as I plan lessons, I include technology in my options of how to best teach a particular idea or standard. Before, I either excluded technology altogether or forced it in just to be using it. I have a lot more to learn, but I am much more comfortable with technology's role in my planning.
Professionally, I will now seek out in-services in which I can continue to update my technological knowledge. I also will start using blogs and wikis in my classes. I had hoped to begin this year, but have not been able to find the time to effectively use them. Next summer, one of my goals is to really immerse myself in planning blogs and /or wikis for all of my classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment